[Haskell-cafe] Re: Wikipedia on first-class object

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Sat Dec 29 16:04:22 EST 2007

Am Samstag, 29. Dezember 2007 20:15 schrieb Bulat Ziganshin:
> Hello Tim,
>
> Saturday, December 29, 2007, 10:07:15 PM, you wrote:
> >> ok, please compute 2^2^30 before continuing discussion. it seems that
> >
> > Well, that's why I recommended the Dennett essay. The difference
> > between "I'm too bored" and "I can't" is actually an interesting
> > philosophical question, and people have written about it in detail
> > before.
>
> oh, Dennett isn't only source of wisdom. i proposed you this task
> because i've my own understanding of it. as i've said in other letter,
> both computers and humans may be described using mathematics and
> therefore equivalent - as far as we say about theoretical immortal
> man and Turing machine

The advantages of computers over humans are quantitative.  For example, a
computer can do calculations faster than a human.  But the “advantages” of
humans over computers are qualitative.  For example, a computer cannot be
creative.

I love my children.  My laptop isn’t able to do that.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang