[Haskell-cafe] Re: Wikipedia on first-class object

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 13:37:44 EST 2007

Hello Achim,

Saturday, December 29, 2007, 8:40:05 PM, you wrote:
>> Interesting... So you're claiming that humans have powers of
>> deduction beyond what computers possess? ;-)
>>
> They would be programming us if otherwise, wouldn't they?

oh, well. God created humans, humans created computers. God has
created our programs (psychics), we does the same for computers

but what's a programming? without me, computer will never print "hello
world". but without him, i will never write this letter - only its
ability to easily transfer mail between continents forced me to do it

next. can you compile this "hello world" program down to assembler?
humans often says about things that they can do but computer can't but
they forget that computers was created exactly to do things that we
can't. billion of computations per second is beyond our abilities

just imagine compiling of this program without pencil and paper and
you will draw conclusion that computers have power of deduction that
humans definitely doesn't have. and it's only one aspect which doesn't
take into account duration of human life (of course if we want to
say about *real humans* and not abstract mathematical model of immortals),
difference between people's abilities (it's common mistake to compare
abilities of one concrete computer with MAXIMUM of abilities of all
people, including whose in all future generations), don't take into
account that human by itself, at the moment of birth doesn't know
anything about mathematics and even can't speak - he is programmed by
society to acquire these skills

so, computers are definitely more advanced devices - they was created
to. we (humanity) just don't yet finished development of the program
which at some moment will make them able to further develop itself
without our help. if you believe that human is superior to computer
you should also believe that bacterium is superior to human

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com