[Haskell-cafe] Doing some things right

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Fri Dec 28 15:24:39 EST 2007

Brian Sniffen wrote:
> On Dec 28, 2007 6:05 AM, Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> [I actually heard a number of people tell me that learning LISP would
>> change my life forever because LISP has something called "macros". I
>> tried to learn it, and disliked it greatly. It's too messy. And what the
>> heck is "cdr" ment to mean anyway? To me, LISP doesn't even seem all
>> that different from normal languages (modulo weird syntax). Now
>> Haskell... that's FUN!]
>>

> Contents of Data Register.

Right. I've heard the story about why it came to be called that, but
seriously... I can never remember whether I want cdr or car. It's a
silly choice of name. [Sure, you can rename it. And then nobody but you
will understand it.]

> Macros are like Template Haskell.

Which, incidentally, I also don't use. ;-)

Doesn't Derive cover most of the useful cases for TH?