[Haskell-cafe] Re: Wikipedia on first-class object

apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Fri Dec 28 09:34:23 EST 2007

Jules Bean wrote:
> Cristian Baboi wrote:
>> But I guess it won't work because the compiler will optimize it
>> and the call will disappear.
>
> I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here.

(That's the "world view on Haskell" issue I mean. I know this feeling
with physics: "what the heck are they talking about, this is just
mathematically wrong, ill-defined or otherwise void of contents?")

Cristian Baboi wrote:
> How can be Clean similar to Haskell and at the same time satisfy 9-12 ?

In Clean, print has the type

    print :: (Int -> Int) -> Dynamic

but there is (hopefully) no equality on  Dynamic . But it can be stored
in a file or something

    store :: Dynamic -> IO ()

and loaded back. Thanks to IO, we can think of the file contents to be a
non-deterministically chosen intentional representation for a value with
extensional equality.

I don't know whether Clean really does  store  that way, it may do more
and hence break the extensional semantics "a bit".

Regards,
apfelmus