[Haskell-cafe] Fusion of lists and chunky sequences

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Thu Dec 27 17:36:29 EST 2007

On the one hand I like to use lists in my code because element types can
be freely chosen and maximum laziness allows feedback and other tricks. On
the other hand there are ByteString.Lazy and one could build chunky
sequences from other fast array implementations. They have constraints on
the element types like Storable in
  http://code.haskell.org/~sjanssen/storablevector
 and IArray multi-parameter type class for UArray.

 I like to continue writing code for lists, and let the optimizer replace
it by operations on chunky sequences whereever possible. E.g.
  Chunky.fromList (List.map f (List.unfoldr g x))
 might be transformed to
  Chunky.unfoldr (f ... g) x

Chunky.fromList serves two purposes:
 1. I obtain the result in a data structure that can be quickly accessed
by further operations.
 2. It tells the optimizer that element granularity for laziness is not
needed and that the element type fulfills the constraint of the fast array
type, and thus fusion can go on safely. (As far as I can see.)

 Is there some framework which fuses lists and chunky sequences? When
writing fusion rules like the above one by myself, then they interfer with
Prelude's fusion rules (and they would probably also interfer with those
of an alternative list fusion framework). The 'map' and 'unfoldr' is
certainly already fused to the internal 'build' or to another auxiliary
function. As far as I know, I cannot disable the Prelude rules and give
the List-Chunk rules priority higher than Prelude's ones.
 I hoped to be able to apply application specific fusion rules by defining
a newtype wrapper around the chunky sequence type, while keeping the rest
of the list code unchanged. You might argue, that code cannot be
application specific if it still relies on the generic list type. Maybe
it's the best to wrap the list type in a newtype and lift all of the
application relevant list functions to this type and then define fusion
rules on the lifted functions.