[Haskell-cafe] Wikipedia on first-class object

Jonathan Cast jonathanccast at fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 27 10:45:04 EST 2007

On 27 Dec 2007, at 9:34 AM, Cristian Baboi wrote:

> I'll have to trust you, because I cannot test it.
>
> let x=(1:x); y=(1:y) in x==y .
>
> I also cannot test this:
>
> let x=(1:x); y=1:1:y in x==y

Correct.  You could try proving it.

Or you could try proving that these expressions are equal to _|_.
Equality is defined on lists because we frequently use finite lists,
where it makes sense.  Infinite lists are more like functions ---
useful in the intermediate stages of computation, but really
orthogonal to everything you think you know about computing.

jcc