[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

John Dorsey haskell at colquitt.org
Mon Dec 24 01:23:32 EST 2007

Judah,

Thanks for your reply, and your help.

> >         (Although it looks like the libraries/readline/configure script
> >         might recognize these, I can't get an option to pass through.)
>
> Actually, this is supposed to work.  When running the top-level ghc
> configure, you should be able to just say
> ./configure --with-readline-libraries=/opt/local/lib
> --with-readline-includes=/opt/local/include
[...]
> I just checked that this works on my machine (Tiger x86) when building
> 6.8.2 against MacPorts' readline.  If it doesn't work for you, what
> errors are you getting?

I was slow to reply, in part so I could try this again with a fresh
start from the tarballs.  Sure enough, it now works for me.

What I /was/ seeing was a successful compile and install of ghc, but no
readline functionality in ghci (i.e. backspaces gave me junk).

> Also, a couple of other generic questions:
> - Are you on x86 or PPC?  (The latter is not working right yet with Leopard.)

I have both, but I've been using the x86.

> - How are you bootstrapping the build of 6.8.2: are you using a
> pre-built binary of ghc-6.8.1, or some other way?

Yep, a binary distro of 6.8.1 was right.

I must have failed to dot an 'i' somewhere before.  Thanks for pointing me
in the right direction.

John