[Haskell-cafe] Re: Importing Data.Char speeds up ghc around 70%

Joost Behrends webmaster at h-labahn.de
Sun Dec 23 00:17:53 EST 2007

Hi again, Daniel

cannot sleep tonight - perhaps from the feeling to loose too much time with
these things.

Yes - it's the wheel. And a dlist made from [3,5,7,11,13,17] was optimal in some
of my experiments too.

You will probably know it - but perhaps there are third-party readers:
A last try to improve the "final" version was to replace Integer by Int64
(importing Prelude qualified). There was no difference ! That is good news
and bad - the good news (and that's much more important), that Integer is
absoulutely cleanly implemented.

However, if this is so, i have little sympathy for
being forced to use fromInteger and toInteger - for this special case i would
prefer automatic coercion. And - sorry - cannot do other than seeing anything
else as ill-advised dogmatism. But perhaps i am spoiled from Python :).

I did this, because for secure decision about divisibility the program
isn't useful beyond that.

Thanks for that entry point: I took "google Rabin-Miller" in a comment of this
last version.

Happy days, Joost