Fwd: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Functions are first class values in C

Philippa Cowderoy flippa at flippac.org
Sat Dec 22 10:18:18 EST 2007

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007, Cristian Baboi wrote:

> The thing is I think that for a language to have "first-class" functions,
> it must be "homoiconic" if I understand the terms correctly.

You're confusing functions with the terms that are used to define them.
The terms aren't first-class, the functions are. This is intentional: the
only way you can tell functions apart is if they give you different
results for the same parameter. Otherwise, what you have isn't a function
but a combination of a function and some extra structure.

flippa at flippac.org

"My religion says so" explains your beliefs. But it doesn't explain
why I should hold them as well, let alone be restricted by them.