[Haskell-cafe] upgrading regex in GHC 6.8.2

Michael Mounteney gate03 at landcroft.co.uk
Thu Dec 20 22:28:12 EST 2007

Hello, I have an application that uses/used Text.Regex and have just updated
GHC from 6.6.1 to 6.8.2 and it seems that Text.Regex is gone, so I'm trying
to install the replacement from Hackage.

First of all, the procedure is quite tedious as one has to install the
hierarchy of dependencies manually but apparently there are moves to automate
this process.

The procedure stalled on regex-base-0.92.  I fixed the build-depends in
regex-base.cabal to:

Build-Depends:    base >= 2.0, mtl, containers >= 0.1.0.1, bytestring, array

following information I found via an internet search but on runghc Setup.hs
install it says:

Setup.hs: Error: Could not find module: Text.Regex.Base with any suffix:
["hi"]

It seems that it is necessary to remove the Text.Regex.Base and
Text.Regex.Base.Impl entries from the Exposed-Modules: line but then
regex-posix build complains that it can't find Text.Regex.Base.  I tried
various hackery like compiling Text/Regex/Base.hs manually but even when
Text/Regex/Base.hi exists, the runghc Setup.hs install error message above
still occurs.

What is happening ?