[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell performance

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Thu Dec 20 14:19:33 EST 2007

On Thursday 20 December 2007 19:02, Don Stewart wrote:
> Ok, so I should revive nobench then, I suspect.
>
>     http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/nobench/x86_64/results.html
>
> that kind of thing?

Many of those benchmarks look good.

However, I suggest avoiding trivially reducible problems like computing
constants (e, pi, primes, fib) and redundant operations (binary trees). Make
sure programs accept a non-trivial input (even if it is just an int over a
wide range). Avoid unnecessary repeats (e.g. atom.hs). This will mean that
transformations that improve performance on the benchmark suite will be more
likely to improve the performance of real programs.

I would recommend adding:

1. FFT.

2. Graph traversal, e.g. "n"th-nearest neighbor.

These should be <100LOC each.