[Haskell-cafe] Dynamic typing of polymorphic functions

Alfonso Acosta alfonso.acosta at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 16:27:17 EST 2007

On Dec 19, 2007 9:13 PM, Neil Mitchell <ndmitchell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > OK, If you managed to read until this point, you might have noticed
> > that, due to the monomorphism restriction implied by Data.Typeable, it
> > is impossible to build polymorphic processes.
>
> Tom Shackell had similar issues with passing code around at runtime.
> As a result Yhc contains the Yhc.Dynamic module which gives you all
> polymorphic dynamic typing. It's integrated into the compiler and
> runtime system.

Thanks for your answer Neil.

>From your description it _seems_ to be exactly what I need (I coudn't
reallly figure it out form the sources since its implementation seems
to rely on Yhc internals I totally ignore). Are there any examples of
use available?

Even if Yhc.Dynamic turns out to be what I need, my implementation
unfortunately depends on Template Haskell. Could any GHC guru point
out if this would be feasible (and how complicated) to implement in
GHC?

Thanks,

Fons