[Haskell-cafe] #haskell works

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Sat Dec 15 16:12:14 EST 2007

bulat.ziganshin:

> > Oh, this isn't the original program, either. You need to find the
> > longest word and print it. Not count the words.
>
> i can't understand what you mean by single-loop program? my code does
> one pass through the data without generating any intermediate data
> structures and i think that it's not worse than output of stream
> fusion

Yes, its very nice! That is the kind of code I'd *hope* to produce from
a series of fused loops! A bunch of little loop bodies alternative
control.

I'm actually more interested in Andrew's mysterious 10x faster C
program, someone provided to him. It solved the original problem of
finding the longest word in the dictionary. (So slightly more complex).

I'd expect a 2-3x worse bytestring program, in the worst case. So the
10x figure has been curious.

-- Don