[Haskell-cafe] Execution of external command

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 16:05:00 EST 2007

> it seems that script may be not terminated if its output isn't read, so
> better code should be
>
> (_, h, g, _) <- runInteractiveCommand "script params"
> result <- hGetLine h
> hGetContents h >>= evaluate.length
> hGetContents g >>= evaluate.length

Tangent here, but does anyone else think that something like
hGetContentsEagerly would be handy in System.IO?  When I am reading
lots of little files I worry about open file limits.  And besides, it
seems like unsafeInterleaveIO can result in IO exceptions coming from
pure code, so why use it if you don't have to?