[Haskell-cafe] GUI

Marc A. Ziegert coeus at gmx.de
Wed Dec 12 18:58:58 EST 2007

Am Mittwoch, 12. Dezember 2007 schrieb Miguel Mitrofanov:
> Gtk2Hs is good (I suppose), but it requires X. OK, I have X, but it's
> not "native" on my Mac; some Mac users don't install it and almost
> all Mac users don't always run it.

the problem is Apple. if you want to have a native gui on OSX then you are either nearly stuck to Objective-C or to obsolete gui libraries.
i'm not a mac user, but i know one who is; he told me.
on osx there are two main gui apis: carbon and cocoa.

carbon is obsolete, but it partially runs on osx -- it is not 64bit compatible.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_%28API%29>

cocoa is the newer one, which every mac user likes.
AFAIK there is no C backend to that api, so you will have to develop a C backend first and then the haskell (or gtk2) wrapper.
there are some bindings for other languages, i.e. C#, but no C.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_%28API%29>

if you are able to code objective-c and know how to access cocoa using c, please help those gtk developers to port gtk2 to native OSX.
it will then automagically work with gtk2hs.

- marc