[Haskell-cafe] New slogan for haskell.org

Bill Wood william.wood3 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 12 13:04:57 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 11:19 +0000, Andrew Coppin wrote:
   . . .
> ...and normal programmers care about the Fibonacci numbers because...?
>
> Seriously, there are many, many programmers who don't even know what
> Fibonacci numbers *are*. And even I can't think of a useful purpose for
> them. (Unless you count Fibonacci codes?)

Knuth[1] pp. 417-419 discusses Fibonacci trees and Fibonacci search.
According to Knuth (and who am I to argue with him) Fibonacci search has
better average case running time than binary search, although worst case
can be slightly slower.

Cormen et. al.[2] devotes chapter 20 to Fibonacci heaps, which they say
are of primarily theoretical interest.

[1] Donald E. Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, vol. 3, second
edition, Addison Wesley Longman (1998).

[2] Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, Ronald L. Rivest and
Clifford Stein, Introduction to Algorithms, second edition, The MIT
Press (2001).

 -- Bill Wood