[Haskell-cafe] Problem with Gtk2hs

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 10 05:40:48 EST 2007

Duncan Coutts wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 13:08 -0800, Stefan O'Rear wrote:
>
>> That's pretty obviously a bug - Graphics.UI.Gtk.Gdk.PixbufData doesn't
>> fully implement the (M)Array class.
>>

> The MArray class changed in ghc-6.8 and we didn't notice until the
> gtk2hs release was already out.

Ah. I knew there'd be a reason...

> So there are a couple workarounds, either grab the darcs version of the
> 0.9.12 branch which contains the fix:
> http://darcs.haskell.org/gtk2hs-branches/gtk2hs-0.9.12/
>
> Or use the released version with ghc-6.6.x rather than 6.8.x, since 6.6
> has the previous different MArray interface.
>
> Or use the unsafe indexing operators which bypass the bounds check which
> calls getNumElements.

Eeek! I just recompiled my existing working code with 6.8.1, and sure
enough it's broken. I was assuming that the new code I added was the
problem, but no, apparently it's the change of compiler [and hence
libraries]. Well that changes things...

What do I need to compile the darcs version? Just GHC? Or do I need the
GTK+ header files? (Remember, I'm on Windows here.)