[Haskell-cafe] Re: Do real programs need IO? (was IO is a bad example for Monads)

Maurí­cio briqueabraque at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 10 01:05:22 EST 2007

 >  >(...)
 >  > Would you deny that any useful programme has to do at least some of
 > the following:
 >  > -accept programme arguments at invocation
 >  > -get input, be it from a keyboard, mouse, reading files, pipes...
 >  > -output a result or state info, to the monitor, a file, a pipe...
 >    ===

As long as we use current interfaces, no one
would deny it. But after reading some stuff
about Epigram language, I wonder if those
ideas could not be used to write a better
interface to computers. Then, all those tasks
would be handled by your interface plug-ins,
not by programs.

Really, we need to do all of that today. But
I believe reading from keyboard, files
etc. should not be part of programs we write
daily, just a task for a basic interface to
which our programs should be linked.

Best,
Maurício