[Haskell-cafe] [OT] A nice organized collection of threads in Haskell-Cafe

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 8 15:12:30 EST 2007

Albert Y. C. Lai wrote:
> Andrew Coppin wrote:
>> Thunderbird has a long-standing bug in that new posts having the same
>> subject line as some other post that happened many years ago get
>> added to that thread. It's really most irritating. :-S
>
> I have investigated. A bit of skepticism goes a long way. Never be
> taken in. So, for the record:
>
> In Thunderbird if you click "Write" (not "Reply" or "Reply All"), the
> headers are according to the semantics of "Write", i.e., no
> "References:" or "In-Reply-To:". Insofar as headers, this is correct
> behaviour.
>
> When Thunderbird gets a post (from your "Write" or from outside) with
> no "References:" and "In-Reply-To:" header, but with "Subject:" same
> as existing posts, it still displays them together as a thread. But
> this is just a display trick - "References:" and "In-Reply-To:" are
> not fudged. Evidently, this is a measure against non-compliant posts.
> Furthermore, this is configurable. In the config editor, look for
> "mail.strict_threading".
>
> The presence of the setting implies that the programmers know what
> they are getting into. There is a tension between following the rules
> and inter-operating with those who don't follow the rules. This is not
> a bug; this is a conscious compromise. And you can change it.
>
> Changing the setting doesn't change the threading structure of
> existing posts - the decisions made back then were recorded. (There is
> also a way to delete that, along with lots of other meta-data: delete
> the appropriate .msf file.) The setting is effective for posts seen
> henceforth.
>
> I can't blame you for being not observant. Afterall, this is precisely
> what I'm alluding to with "everyone can haz PC", or rather, the way
> Bill Gates executes it. Everyone becomes superficial, everyone just
> looks at what's displayed on the screen - or rather, fictionized on
> the screen - and jumps to conclusions.
>
> Never be taken in.

I have heard - multiple times - that this erroneous behaviour can be
turned off. I have tried endlessly to follow such instructions to the
letter. And yet, I can never get Thunderbird to not misthread things. So
kindly don't tell me I'm jumping to conclusions. I've read the bug
reports (there have been many!) and followed the instructions for
changing the settings, and it never ever works. I still get broken
threading.