[Haskell-cafe] Point and link

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 8 13:12:24 EST 2007

Denis Bueno wrote:
> Do you need to update positions of the units in real time?  Do they
> even evolve over time, or are you just trying to visualise?
>
> If it's the latter, you might just take a collection of units and
> connections between them, output them in the graphviz [0] format, and
> see the resulting drawing.  Graphviz is for visualising arbitrary
> graphs, and it's quite good at it.
>
> If you're thinking of writing games, then this suggestion likely won't
> help; but you didn't specify anything about real-time update, so I
> thought I'd mention it.

Well, for starters, take a look at KLogic. It's a nice program, but it
has two small problems:

1. Sometimes it produces outright incorrect results.

2. It crashes with extreme frequency.

I'd like to write a similar program in Haskell that does not have these
properties.

Of course, simulating a bunch of logic gates is a pretty trivial
programming task. All the difficulty is in making a usable UI.

I have ideas for several other programs which would require more or less
the same kind of UI - you add things to the screen and wire them up. The
things in question are different. But it's still things that need wiring
up. I was wondering if any tools already exist to tackle this kind of
thing...?