[Haskell-cafe] fundeps and overlapping/undecidable instances

Jim Burton jim at sdf-eu.org
Fri Dec 7 11:24:35 EST 2007

I have some type-level sets using fundeps working whereby equality and
membership etc are predicate functions. This seems to leads to an explosion
of ugly code, with `If' class constraints etc getting out of hand -- I want
to treat these as relations instead so providing the definition describes
everything that is 'in' and nothing that is 'out'. I've been using Oleg's
paper on lightweight static resources [1] as a template for this. I want to
do something like this (supposing I have an EQ relation, (:::) for consing):

class Member x y
instance EQ x y      => Member x (y:::ys)
instance Member x ys => Member x (y:::ys)

But I can certainly see why this isn't possible (It's the equivalent of
pattern-matching on the constraints I suppose). Do type families provide a
way to do this kind of thing or do I need a different strategy altogether,
involving GADTs or whatever?

Thanks,

[1] http://okmij.org/ftp/Computation/resource-aware-prog/tfp.pdf