[Haskell-cafe] Haskell interface file (.hi) format?

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Sun Dec 2 01:01:13 EST 2007

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 05:45:48AM +0100, Tomasz Zielonka wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 08:55:51AM +0000, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > >   Prelude> :b Control.Concurrent.MVar
> > >   module 'Control.Concurrent.MVar' is not interpreted
> >
> > :b now defaults to :breakpoint, you want :browse
>
> That's a questionable decision, IMO:
> - it changes behavior
> - I expect :browse to be used more often, so it deserves the sort
>   :b version (:bro is not that short)
>
> On the other hand, this change can have an (unintended?) feature
> advertising effect ;-)

It's not a decision at all.  :b is the first command starting with b,
which was browse yesterday, is breakpoint today, and tomorrow will be
something you've never heard of.  It's inherently fragile, and shouldn't
be relied on in scripts - and if :b does anything funny, spell out the
command!

(There is a case to be made for explicitly defining short forms of
commands - but that is not what :b is, and making this case should only
be done in a new thread.)

Stefan