[Haskell-cafe] let and fixed point operator

Paul Hudak paul.hudak at yale.edu
Fri Aug 31 12:00:41 EDT 2007

ok wrote:
> What is so bad about
>
>     f x = g x''
>       where x'' = x' + transform
>             x'  = x  * scale
>
> (if you really hate inventing temporary names, that is).
There's nothing at all wrong with this, assuming it's what you meant to
type :-), and it might even correspond perfectly to the mathematical
notation used in some textbook.  But I would argue that this example is
pretty simple, and that if there were a lot of xs and x's and x''s then
the chance of making a typing mistake is greater, I believe, than if you
had used x, xscaled, and xtransformed.  (On the other hand this is all
pretty subjective... :-)

    -Paul