[Haskell-cafe] Newbie terminology for partial application

Peter Verswyvelen bf3 at telenet.be
Mon Aug 27 10:29:38 EDT 2007

 A while ago I confused "currying" with "partial application", which was
pointed out by members of this community, and the wiki pages got adapted
so that newbies like me don't make the same mistake twice ;) That's great.

Anyway, at the risk of making mistakes again, I'm looking for good
terminilogy when talking about "partial application".

For example:

-- uncurried form
*f (x,y)*  = -- whatever

-- curried form
*g x y *= f (x,y)

-- partial application
*h x *= g x

But when writing text documents, I guess it is common to say "/g is
curried/", but is it also common to say /"g is partially applied"? /The
latter sounds silly to a non-native speaker like myself... Or shouldn't
it be?
/
/And what is "application"? I guess it means that (g x y) is internally
translated to ((g $ x) $ y) which is translated into (apply (apply g x)
y) where apply is a primitive function?

Thanks,
Peter

PS: sorry for the poor English!