[Haskell-cafe] "GHC from source" makes a great hardware test

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sun Aug 26 04:21:03 EDT 2007

Dave Bayer wrote:
> I recently did the classic "push a shopping cart down the aisle at
> Fry's" to build a Core 2 Quad computer, with Linux swap and a soft
> raid array spread across three 750 GB sata hard disks.

I've seen a 2 GHz Quad Xeon server going for about £600. But get this...
IT HAS A SECOND CPU SOCKET! 0_0

The idea of having two quad-core CPUs at my command has me just
drooling... and there's currently a special offer on where the 2nd CPU
comes for free. Seriously tempted!

If *I* were to test such a machine, I'd probably use the new
multi-threaded POV-Ray beta... but that's just me. ;-)

(Almost all the stuff I do with my PC is compute-bound, not I/O-bound.)