[Haskell-cafe] Ideas

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 15:54:15 EDT 2007

> Reaktor has a few limitations though.
>
> 1. It's virtually impossible to debug the thing! (I.e., if your synth
> doesn't work... good luck working out why.)
>
> 2. It lacks looping capabilities. For example, you cannot build a
> variable-size convolution block - only a fixed-size one. (If you want to
> draw *a lot* of wires!) If you look through the standard library, you'll
> find no end of instruments that use a "hack" of using voice polyphony to
> crudely simulate looping... but it's not too hot.
>
> Would be nice if I could build something in Haskell that overcomes
> these. OTOH, does Haskell have any way to talk to the audio hardware?

Nyquist is a music language from a whlie back that I liked (in theory,
not so much in practice).  It has a functional model in that
"instruments" are just functions that return sample streams, so
there's no difference between signal processing and signal generating
functions (or orchestra and score, for the csounders out there).  This
was made efficient by lazily evaluating the streams and some custom
hackery where it would e.g. notice that one signal going into (+) had
ended and simply unlink the entire operation from the call graph, and
some gc hackery to reclaim sound blocks quickly.

The other interesting feature was "behaviours" which were just
dynamically scoped variables that would propagate down to the nearest
function that cared to interpret them, e.g. (transpose 5 (seq (melody
1) (melody 2))) would transpose the tones generated by (melody) by
setting a dynamic variable that would later be read by the underlying
oscillators or whatever that melody used.  "seq" used the mechanism to
shift or scale the beginnings end endings of notes.

It was also more powerful than e.g. csound, supecollider, or reaktor
style languages because in the former you have to compile a static
call graph (the "orchestra") and then "play" it with signals
dynamically (the "score"), whereas in nyquist there's no orchestra and
score division.  The disadvantage is that the immutable signals made
it hard to implement real-time synthesis.

The practical problem was that it was implemented in a hacked up XLisp
which was primitive and hard to debug.  Added to that, you had to be
careful to wrap signals in functions or macros so the eager
interpreter wouldn't evaluate the whole signal and kill performance.

To get this back to haskell, at the time I wondered if a more natural
implementation might be possible in haskell, seeing as it was more
naturally lazy.  Not sure how to implement the behaviours though
(which were simply macros around a let of *dynamic-something*).  I'm
sure people have done plenty of signal processing, and there's always
haskore... but what about a sound generation language like csound or
clm or nyquist?  It could fit in nicely below haskore.

Also, as another reaktor user I agree it would have been so much nicer
were it simply a real language.  Drawing those boxes and lines and the
complete lack of abstraction (beyond copy and paste) is a real pain.
Supercollider is more promising in that way, but less polished of
course.  It also has that two-level imperative model though where you
create and modify your signal graph with imperative techniques, then
run it, rather than your program *being* the signal graph.