[Haskell-cafe] Ideas

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Sat Aug 25 15:08:04 EDT 2007

On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 07:43:30PM +0100, Andrew Coppin wrote:
> Neil Mitchell wrote:
>> HI

>>> ...and yet haskell.org uses WikiMedia? (Which is written in something
>>> bizzare like Perl...)
>>>

>> Yes, but WikiMedia is a result of years of work, Flippi is a lot less.
>> Wikipedia uses WikiMedia - its a tried and proven solution.
>>

> Well, I guess...
>
> I just thought, you know, the Tcl wiki is written in Tcl, why isn't the
> Haskell wiki written in Haskell? Hey, aren't we trying to tell people is a
> *useful* language that people should learn and use? ;-)

Actually, we aren't.  You might not have been able to tell, but a core
goal of our community is to stay small and avoid success at all costs;
our language is not practical, not designed to be practical, and if it
ever becomes practical, it will have done so only by a terrible streak
of bad luck.  Remember, success breeds inertia, and inertia would ruin
our fundamental goal of being an agile research language.

:)

Stefan