[Haskell-cafe] Ideas

Philippa Cowderoy flippa at flippac.org
Sat Aug 25 08:49:37 EDT 2007

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007, Neil Mitchell wrote:

> Hi
>
> > > Flippi (google: Haskell Flippi)
> >
> > ...and yet haskell.org uses WikiMedia? (Which is written in something
> > bizzare like Perl...)
>
> Yes, but WikiMedia is a result of years of work, Flippi is a lot less.

The original version was the result of a certain amount of thinking, an
overnight hack and a few tweaks :-)

> > Have you ever played with KLogic? You draw boxes and lines, and it makes
> > some logic. (As in the digital electronics sense of "logic".)
> >
> > I have some (very expensive) software called Reaktor. You draw boxes and
> > lines, it does DSP algorithms. You build synthesizers and effects boxes
> > with it.
>
> That sounds exactly like PureData - you can also do graphics as well
> with PureData, the demo I saw was very cool. Of course, PureData is
> written in C with Haskell as an extension language.

Reaktor is rather nicer to use than PureData though, in that it's designed
to work with mainstream sequencers (or any VST - I work with trackers
myself) and be used by non-hackers. Also, I'm not entirely sure it's fair
to say that it has Haskell as an extension language as such - but Claude's
slides'll give a better explanation than I can.

> The last two ideas you mentioned require a graphical user interface,
> which is an area of Haskell which is comparatively weak, compared to
> the rest of Haskell.

Yep. It would be nice to have a library for doing that kind of stuff
though, I suspect there're many nifty projects that would be easy to
implement once that was done - Haskell's good at manipulating the
underlying structures.

flippa at flippac.org

"The reason for this is simple yet profound. Equations of the form
x = x are completely useless. All interesting equations are of the
form x = y." -- John C. Baez