[Haskell-cafe] Re: Graph reduction [Was: Where is StackOverflow on the Wiki?]

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 23 14:43:52 EDT 2007

apfelmus wrote:
> Yeah, the precise details may vary, even :) But for teaching, an
> automatic tool that does graph reduction would be great. I don't mind
> if it's sloppy (directly apply definitions & pattern matching VS
> everything is a lambda abstraction) and only does simply typed lambda
> calculus (no type applications, no type classes).

Well come ON people, there's *got* to be enough big-wigs on this list to
put *something* together! ;-)

Like I said, a while back I wrote something in Tcl that would produce a
reduction sequence for the standard example code for quicksort or the
Fibonacci numbers. All very simplistic. (I wrote it in *Tcl*! It doesn't
even have *types*!!) No type checking. Use any constructor names you
want. Typeclasses could *never* have worked. Also, I later learned about
a whole bunch of Haskell features that would have required a massive
refactor to implement. (*cough* curried functions, case-expressions,
let-expressions, lambda functions...)

Anyway, I'll see if I can't put something skeletal together sometime. It
will probably only work 50% of the time, but maybe that will be useful
to somebody...