[Haskell-cafe] Dynamic thread management?

Neil Bartlett njbartlett at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 04:19:26 EDT 2007

> multicore box ;-)  It's my main show-stopper right now.  Any clues on
> how to get access to one, eg via ssh?  32-core or higher would be
> favorite ;-) but I guess even just a 4-core or so is enough for
> proof-of-concept?

I think you'll have plenty of work to be before you get to the stage
of needing a box with more than 4 cores. Even a dual core machine is
likely to be enough for initial experimentation, I would say.

> ... or build a minimal vm, enough to get 3 or 4 somewhat interesting
> algorithms / programs to run, and get automatic threading working on a
> couple of targets, eg on maps, and whatever [ x | x <- somelist ]
> these things are called.  (folds are a little harder from an
> implementation point of view, so can be a future upgrade).

The other thing to consider is that there are several other VMs out
there, including many under open source licenses, that can be used as
a testbed. Examples include the Java VM, Mono, Parrot, LLVM, etc.

> Would you or Neil fancy being a mentor for this, if I can start to get
> somewhere on it?

Not me! I'm not an academic... I've never had a paper published and
I'm not likely to either.

Regards
Neil