[Haskell-cafe] Dynamic thread management?

Hugh Perkins hughperkins at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 23:07:22 EDT 2007

On 8/21/07, Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
> I highly doubt that automatic threading will happen any time this decade
> - but I just learned something worth while from reading this email. ;-)

That's an interesting observation.  I cant say I dont believe it, but
I'm interested to know why (but it could be just a feeling, or an
observation in time-to-market lead times?).  Are you saying this
because multicores arent sufficiently widespread or powerful enough
yet (4-cores doesnt really even make up for the overhead of using
automatic threading, at least in initial implementations)? or are you
saying this because you think the technical implementations are not
sufficiently advanced?

I kindof think automatic threading is like 3d graphics: as soon as the
hardware became sufficiently powerful, 3d graphics became trivial.
Enough money was thrown at the problem in a very short time by a few
powerful companies that it was a non-issue.

Nevertheless, if I could get a paper out of it before the big
companies notice, that could be fun :-D