[Haskell-cafe] can't build haxml under ghc 6.7, says HughesPJ is hidden... but ghc-pkg doesn't say it's hidden...

Thomas Hartman thomas.hartman at db.com
Mon Aug 20 14:27:26 EDT 2007

so you get

$ runghc Setup.hs configure
Setup.hs: Multiple description files found.  Please use only one of :
["HaXml.cabal","HaXml-darcs.cabal"]

is there a way to specify which cabal file should be used, or do you just
have to  move a file out out the way with eg

  mv HaXml.cabal HaXml.cabal.tmp ?

Understanding this better is important to me because I am installing a
number of packages on 6.7, and am reluctant to send a patch that breaks
backwards compabitility with earlier versions.

It seems to me that if there is a way to specify the cabal file, you're a
step closer to having something DWIM that works for either 6.6 or 6.7, as
Claus wishlists elsewhere in this thread.

thomas.

Malcolm Wallace <Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk>
Sent by: haskell-cafe-bounces at haskell.org
08/10/2007 08:31 AM

haskell-cafe at haskell.org
cc

Subject
Re: [Haskell-cafe] can't build haxml under ghc 6.7, says HughesPJ       is

Stefan O'Rear <stefanor at cox.net> wrote:

> When you build a package, Cabal passess the -hide-all-packages option
> to GHC, which prevents the package from using any installed packages
> other than the ones explicitly listed in the Build-Depends: field.
>
> For now, we just edit .cabal files when transporting code between GHC
> versions...

Just for information, the HaXml darcs repo has recently adopted the
solution of containing two .cabal files, one for ghc-6.6.x, and the
other for the split-base packages (>=ghc-6.7).  The only difference is
the build-depends line, which is now as follows:

    build-depends: base, haskell98, polyparse, pretty, fps

But if you have collected the earlier release HaXml-1.13.2 from hackage,
then you can omit both 'polyparse' and 'fps' dependencies.  ('fps' will
shortly be changing to 'bytestring' in any case...)

Regards,
    Malcolm

---

e-mail is strictly forbidden.