[Haskell-cafe] is there a way to patch the build-depends line of a cabal file without breaking backwards compatibility?

Thomas Hartman thomas.hartman at db.com
Mon Aug 20 12:37:30 EDT 2007

cafe, is there a way to patch the build-depends line of a cabal file
without breaking backwards compatibility?

I just patched HDBC head to compile under ghc 6.7. Unfortunately it now
won't compile in 6.6.1.

is there a way for build-depends to detect which version of ghc you're on?

also I seem to recall that -fglasgow-exts was deprecated under 6.7. is
there a better way to beat back the error message below than this?

thanks,

thomas.

{
hunk ./Database/HDBC/Statement.hs 1
+{-# LANGUAGE TypeSynonymInstances #-}
hunk ./Database/HDBC/Types.hs 1
+{-# OPTIONS_GHC -fglasgow-exts #-}
+{-
+-- without -fglasgow-exts you get: [_$_]
+Database/HDBC/Types.hs:202:0:
+    Illegal polymorphic or qualified type: forall conn.
+                                          (IConnection conn) =>
+                                          conn -> b
+    In the type signature for `withWConn':
+      withWConn :: forall b.
+                  ConnWrapper -> (forall conn. (IConnection conn) => conn
-> b) -> b
+-}
hunk ./HDBC.cabal 13
-Build-Depends: base, mtl
+
+Build-Depends: base, mtl, old-time, bytestring, containers
+-- breaks backwards compability with ghc 6.6.1
+
}

---

e-mail is strictly forbidden.