[Haskell-cafe] Chessboard-building in Haskell

Twan van Laarhoven twanvl at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 15:23:35 EDT 2007

Andrew Wagner wrote:
> I've started a blog series on writing a chess engine in Haskell. I
> just posted the second blog entry today:
> http://sequence.complete.org/node/361
>
> I suspect there's more work to be done on that function, though. It
> seems like there should be a nice way to remove that flip in apply.
> Any thoughts?

The trick is that you should always prefer zipWith over zip if you have
the chanse, tuples make life harder.

Let's use some equational reasoning:

    foldl apply emptyGameState (zip funcs fields)
  =   {- fill in 'apply' -}
    foldl (flip (ap fst snd)) emptyGS (zip funcs fields)
  =   {- write it as a lambda function to make it clearer -}
    foldl (\y (f,x) -> f x y) emptyGS (zip funcs fields)
  =   {- split fold into a fold and a map -}
    foldl (\y fx -> fx y) emptyGS $ map (\(f,x) -> f x)
                                       $ (zip funcs fields)
  =   {- map . zip --> zipWith -}
    foldl (\y fx -> fx y) emptyGS $ zipWith (\f x -> f x) funcs fields
  =   {- use prelude functions -}
    foldl (flip ($)) emptyGS $ zipWith ($) funcs fields
  ~=  {- now, do you really want a foldl or will foldr do? -}
    foldr ($) emptyGS $ zipWith ($) funcs fields

You can now also write the function in pointfree style:

 > loadFEN = foldr ($) emptyGameState
 >         . zipWith ($) funcs
 >         . words
 >    where funcs = [parseBoard, parseCastleStatus]

Twan