[Haskell-cafe] GHC linking problems

SevenThunders mattcbro at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 17 16:36:23 EDT 2007

Did I find a bug cabal?
I have attempted to fix the problem

Main.c:(.text+0x22): undefined reference to `__stginit_ZCMain'

by compiling my Haskell library using the flag -no-hs-main.  One would think
that this would make sense if the library is to be used by an external C
program.  However I am using cabal to build the haskell library and I
immediately run into a problem.  My netsim.cabal file looks like

Name:           Netsim
Version:        1.1
License:        AllRightsReserved
Exposed-modules:
        Matrix, Parsefile, PowCDF
Build-Depends:
	base, regex-compat>=0.71, parsec>=2.0
Extensions: ForeignFunctionInterface
Includes:	matrixstack.h
Install-includes: matrixstack.h, TunePerf.h
Include-dirs:	../matrixstack, /usr/lib/ghc-6.6.1/include, .
Extra-libraries: netsimc, matrixstack, lapack, ptcblas, atlas
Extra-lib-dirs:	/usr/local/atlas/lib, ., ./phymake,../matrixstack
Ghc-options: -fglasgow-exts -O2 -no-hs-main

My setup.hs file looks like:
import Distribution.Simple
main = defaultMainWithHooks defaultUserHooks

When I build this using
runhaskell Setup.hs build
all the source files compile just fine, but then a screwy thing happens.
Cabal attempts to build an executable called a.out. Moreover a.out has no
main of course and it does not attempt to link to any of the libraries in
the Extra-libraries field.
This kills the cabal build.  So trying to link a.out (which it shouldnt be
doing) gives me the errors,
Preprocessing library Netsim-1.1...
Building Netsim-1.1...
Linking a.out ...
dist/build/Matrix.o: In function `Netsimzm1zi1_Matrix_zdwccall_info':
ghc6835_0.hc:(.text+0x1ea9): undefined reference to `PmatC'
dist/build/Matrix.o: In function `Netsimzm1zi1_Matrix_zdwccall1_info':
ghc6835_0.hc:(.text+0x1f79): undefined reference to `Pmat'
dist/build/Matrix.o: In function `Netsimzm1zi1_Matrix_zdwccall2_info':
/usr/lib/ghc-6.6.1/libHSrts.a(Main.o): In function `main':
Main.c:(.text+0x22): undefined reference to `__stginit_ZCMain'
Main.c:(.text+0x43): undefined reference to `ZCMain_main_closure'

If I eliminate the -no-hs-main flag in Ghc-options  no attempt is made to
creat a.out, which is as it should be and the library builds without
complaint.  This seems like a bug in cabal.