[Haskell-cafe] Diagnosing stack overflow

Justin Bailey jgbailey at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 11:17:56 EDT 2007

On 8/16/07, Matthew Brecknell <haskell at brecknell.org> wrote:
> However, it's possible that your use of this function is forcing
> evaluation of a deeply-nested thunk you've created somewhere else (as
> print does in the foldl example).

Thank you for the detailed and helpful reply. I was led to this
function by the vanilla profiling, which showed that it had the
highest percentage of allocations. Now I'm thinking I'll look at the
functions up the call stack to see which might be building up the
thunk. Would "retainer profiling" help me see what was building up
this large thunk/closure?

Justin