[Haskell-cafe] Looking at program execution

Thomas Hartman thomas.hartman at db.com
Fri Aug 17 10:52:43 EDT 2007

hartthoma at linuxpt:~>cat test.hs
import Debug.Trace

foo = foldl (\first second ->
  (trace ( "first: " ++ ( show first) ) first)
  +
  (trace ( "second: " ++ (show second) ) second) ) 0 [1,2,3]

bar = foldl (+)

traceIt x = trace ("\nTraceIt:\n"++show x++"\n") x
hartthoma at linuxpt:~>ghc -e foo test.hs
first: 0
second: 1
first: 1
second: 2
first: 3
second: 3
6
hartthoma at linuxpt:~>

hope this helps.

Ian Duncan <iand675 at gmail.com>
Sent by: haskell-cafe-bounces at haskell.org
08/16/2007 08:20 PM

haskell-cafe at haskell.org
cc

Subject
[Haskell-cafe] Looking at program execution

Is there any way to view the steps that a haskell program goes
through step by step?
I'm thinking something similar to what I've seen in things I've been
reading. For example:
foldl (+) 0 [1..10]
=> (0+1)
=> etc.
I've seen these sorts of line-by-line execution steps, but I was
curious if there was any way to simply type in a function and its
arguments and have ghci or hugs or something print out this sort of
visual representation of what's going on. Anyone know of something
like this?

---

e-mail is strictly forbidden.