[Haskell-cafe] Re: Bathroom reading

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Thu Aug 16 21:51:15 EDT 2007

I hate to be a party pooper, but isn't this just:

 > f = foldr (\a z -> (a:snd z,fst z)) ([],[])

This takes less time to grok and takes no longer to run.

But why stop there?

 > import Control.Arrow
 > swap = snd &&& fst

 > f = foldr (\a -> swap >>> first (a:)) ([],[])

Just read this aloud to see what it does (without the tilde encryption
algorithm at work!).

More importantly, there is manifestly no pattern failure to check for here.

It is fun that with ~p we don't need deconstructors for p (reminds me of
Lisp's setf), but how many types have exported constructors with no
deconstructors?

And Arrow notation makes up for the loss of fun, so you don't feel
cheated. :)

Dan

P.S. Either doesn't count, because you can easily roll your own
deconstructors:

getLeft  = either id undefined
getRight = either undefined id

but I honestly don't know why these aren't in Data.Either.

Or for that matter, why swap is not in Control.Arrow, since it comes in
handy quite frequently with pointless programming.