[Haskell-cafe] monte carlo trouble

Chad Scherrer chad.scherrer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 15:30:47 EDT 2007

I'm using ListT now, trying to do this:

type Sample a = ListT (State StdGen) a

randomStreamR :: (RandomGen g, Random a) => (a,a) -> g -> ([a], g)
randomStreamR bds g =(randomRs bds g1, g2)
  where (g1,g2) = split g

sample :: [a] -> Sample a
sample [] = ListT (State f)
  where f s = case next s of (_,s') -> ([],s')
sample xs = do
  let bds = (1, length xs)
      xArr = listArray bds xs
  i <- ListT . State $ randomStreamR bds
  return $ (xArr ! i)

-- Simple example, for testing
main = mapM_ print . flip evalState (mkStdGen 1) . runListT $ do
  x <- sample [1..100]
  y <- sample [1..x]
  return (x,y)

The abstraction seems much better now, but even the simple little
example blows up in memory. Here's a snippet from profiling with
-auto-all -caf-all (after I interrupted it):

 CAF:lvl4                Main                         261           1
 0.0    0.0   100.0  100.0
  main                   Main                         273           0
 0.0    0.0   100.0  100.0
   sample                Main                         274           1
100.0  100.0   100.0  100.0
    randomStreamR        Main                         276           1
 0.0    0.0     0.0    0.0

I'm wondering if the bind for ListT is still effectively building
every possibility behind the scenes, and sampling from that. I could
redo the Sample monad by hand, if that could be the problem, but I'm
not sure what changes would need to be made. Or maybe it's building
lots of different arrays and holding them for too long from the GC. Or
maybe it's a strictness/laziness issue I'm missing. Still not so sure
when I need case vs let/where.

How would you guys going about tracking down the problem?

Thanks,
Chad