[Haskell-cafe] Re: Re[2]: Why monad tutorials don't work

Dominic Steinitz dominic.steinitz at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Aug 15 08:50:42 EDT 2007

Miguel Mitrofanov <miguelimo38 <at> yandex.ru> writes:

> >> Dan, as a former student of a clone of that physics teacher, I am really
> >> interested in what you will say when you fail to hold your tongue.
> >>
> >>  -- Bill Wood
> >>

> MV> I have to admit I was wondering the same thing myself.
>
> So was I.

I'm guessing that Dan means that thinking of tensors as things that transform
between co-ordinate systems in a certain way (e.g. via the Jacobian of the
transition maps) isn't a terribly good way of thinking about them. Vector
fields, co-vector fields and tensor fields are really co-ordinate independent
notions and the transformation laws (if I may call them that) are a
consequence of the way they transform under (smooth) maps. But perhaps this is
better discussed on a differential geometry mailing list?

Dominic.