[Haskell-cafe] Re:Explaining monads

Gregory Propf gregorypropf at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 14 20:55:19 EDT 2007

Sorry to spam you Jeff, again I sent my email to the poster rather than the list.  I'm using Yahoo beta webmail and don't see a way to set it to reply to the list rather than the originator.  Anyway, this was my post:

Hence the need to perform a "run" operation like runIdentity, evalState or runParser (for Parsec) to get something useful to happen.  Except for lists we don't seem to do this.  I suppose lists are so simple that the operators :, ++ and the [] constructor do all we ever need with them.  Finally there is no runIO because "main" is essentially that function in every real program? - Greg