[Haskell-cafe] Why monad tutorials don't work

Michael Vanier mvanier at cs.caltech.edu
Tue Aug 14 18:40:31 EDT 2007

<snark>
As you know, an arrow tutorial is like a wrapper around a monad tutorial, sort of like a container
around it that can do extra actions with sufficient lifting.  The appropriate higher-order function
to convert monad tutorials to arrow tutorials will be left as an exercise to the reader.
</snark>

I'm becoming more and more convinced that metaphors for monads do more harm than good.  From now on
I'm going to describe monads as purely abstract entities that obey certain laws, and that _in
certain instances_ can be viewed to be like containers, or actions, or donuts, or whatever.  In
other words, a monad is an abstract thing that can generate things that we can metaphorize, but it's
pointless (point-free?) to try to capture the entire concept in a single metaphor.  I'm reminded of
a physics teacher who was having a similar problem explaining the concept of tensors, until he said
that "a tensor is something that transforms like a tensor does!".  So a monad is something that
behaves like a monad does.

Mike (who obviously hasn't had nearly enough coffee today)