[Haskell-cafe] Explaining monads

Jeff Polakow jeff.polakow at db.com
Tue Aug 14 13:01:08 EDT 2007

Hello,

> Look!  You are doing it again!  :)  Does that paragraph even
> contain the word "Monad"?  :)

Sorry. Your first paragraph led me to believe you were writing about
monads.

> I'm aware a monad is an abstraction and as such it doesn't *do*
> anything.  My point was along the lines that you don't need to
> know that your working in a field to be able to learn that
>
>     3/2 = 1.5

I agree.

I think one of the problem with understanding monads comes from people
mistakenly believing monads force an order of evaluation. This is a
shortcoming of general Haskell tutorials which fail to convey that the
order of evaluation is determined by data dependencies. If new programmers
know that monads have nothing to do with forcing the order of evaluation
when they start learning about monads, then maybe they will be less
confused as they sort out what monads are actually used for.

-Jeff

---

e-mail is strictly forbidden.