[Haskell-cafe] Explaining monads

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sat Aug 11 03:51:44 EDT 2007

ronguida:

> > Monads are undoubtedly more pervasive, and that could be because there
> > aren't as many arrow and comonad tutorials, atomic ones or otherwise.
>
> Moreover, Comonad isn't even in the standard libraries (Hoogle returns
> no results for it).
>
> When I searched for tutorials on monads, I found lots of them.  In
> fact, I have heard that writing (yet another) monad tutorial is part
> of standard Haskell initiation.

Regarding the available tutorials, I've collected them under each
flavour here:

    haskell.org/haskellwiki/Blog_articles/Monads

Including 42 monad tutorials, 6 arrow tutorials, and 3 comonad
tutorials, and 0 on applicative functors.

The source for the `standard' (only) comonad library is available from
one of the sigfpe tutorials, but really should be on hackage.

-- Don