[Haskell-cafe] Haskell vs GC'd imperative languages, threading, parallelizeability (is that a word? :-D )

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Fri Aug 10 03:38:14 EDT 2007

hughperkins:
>    Now, I did have kindof a shootout thread with Don and
>    Sebastien, calculating prime numbers, where Don managed to
>    get to within an order of magnitude of C# performance (I
>    think he got to about 70-80% of C# performance, cool!) ->

Despite my better judgement, I'll just point out that you stopped
measuring the programs midway through. However, the shootout guys
didn't, and they publish the results here:

    http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=nsievebits&lang=all

The GHC-compiled entry comes in at 1.2x C++, which I'm quite happy with.
Strangely, despite your assertions, the C# entry lags well down the list.

-- Don