[Haskell-cafe] Dynamic thread management?

Hugh Perkins hughperkins at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 01:19:52 EDT 2007

On 8/10/07, Donald Bruce Stewart <dons at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:

> Perhaps have a look at this new paper:
>
>     "Feedback directed implicit parallelism in Haskell"
>     http://research.microsoft.com/~tharris/papers/2007-fdip.pdf
>
> -- Don

Ok interesting. So: it's a viable strategy, it's sortof already being done.

A key difference between the approach in the Harris/Singh paper and the
proposal above is that the Harris/Singh paper proposes recompiling the
program multiple times.  The proposal above is taking a more vm approach,
something like Java or C#, where the vm adapts continuously to the program's
behavior during execution.

I suppose this does partly answer my question however about "how hard can
this be?", in that a pre-requisite to do this is to make Haskell run as a
vm?

To what extent is making Haskell run in a vm possible?  To what extent does
ghci attempt to do this/ meet the requirements for an efficient vm?

(off to read the rest of the paper, though everything after the abstract
looks scary :-D )