[Haskell-cafe] Re: monad subexpressions

Chris Smith cdsmith at twu.net
Thu Aug 2 23:29:40 EDT 2007

Neil Mitchell <ndmitchell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this is a fantastic idea, please do so!

Okay, I'll do it then.  If I have a good weekend, perhaps I'll volunteer
a talk at AngloHaskell after all!  :)

So what about syntax?  I agree with your objections, so we've got

( <- expr )   -- makes sense, and I think it's unambiguous
``expr``      -- back-ticks make sense for UNIX shell scripters

The first is something Simon Peyton-Jones came up with (probably on-the-
fly) at OSCON, and I rather like it a lot; but I'm concerned about
ambiguity.  The latter seems sensible as well.  Any other ideas?

--
Chris Smith