[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANN: encoding-0.1 release

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 2 12:56:44 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 18:44 +0200, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 2. August 2007 12:22 schrieb Henning Günther:
> > […]
>
> > 	ISO 8859-* (alias latin-*)
>
> Not every ISO-8859-* encoding is a Latin-* encoding.
>
> > […]
>
> Wouldn’t it be good to use some already existing library like iconv or do you
> think, this is not feasible (because you want to support lazyness, for
> example)?

Yes, I was talking to Henning about this. I've got an iconv binding[1]
that use lazy bytestrings (so it does support lazyness of course) and is
pretty quick. Henning has been thinking much more about what the
appropriate api should be, I've just got:

type Encoding = String
convert :: Encoding -> Encoding -> Lazy.ByteString -> Lazy.ByteString

so we might be able to use iconv underneath (if it's available).

Duncan

[1] darcs get http://haskell.org/~duncan/iconv/