FW: RE [Haskell-cafe] Monad Description For Imperative Programmer

peterv bf3 at telenet.be
Thu Aug 2 07:01:05 EDT 2007

IMHO although this is a great explanation of what a monad is (as far as I understand it), for newbies I think it helps a lot to first look at the specific cases where monads are used and why they are invented, as explained in http://sigfpe.blogspot.com/2006/08/you-could-have-invented-monads-and.html and then looking at http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/IO_inside for the IO thingy.

However, one thing which I find annoying is that a "classic pure" function cannot evaluate an IO function unless you use unsafePerformIO; one must "promote" (?demote) the pure function into the IO monad.

For example, as an exercise I tried to convert the Monte Carlo experiment as demonstrated in http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/sicp/book/node53.html into Haskell (warning: newbie code ahead, should be much nicer when I once become a real Haskeller in a million years ;-)

In the code below I had to change the monteCarlo1 into a completely different monteCarlo2 in order to use the IO random facility. Okay, this is "expected behavior", but for an imperative programmer, this is quite a shock!

Any ways of "promoting" such a pure function into the monadic one automatically? I tried playing with "liftM", without succes.

import Data.Ratio
import Data.List
import System.Random
import Control.Monad

-- Monte Carlo using "pure" functions
monteCarlo1 :: Integral n => n -> (a -> (a,Bool)) -> a -> Ratio n
monteCarlo1 trials experiment startValue = trialsPassed % trials
  where trialsPassed = genericLength $ filter id outcomes
        outcomes = snd $ unzip $ genericTake trials $ iterate (experiment . fst) (experiment startValue)

cesaroTest1 :: StdGen -> (StdGen, Bool)
cesaroTest1 gen0 = (gen2, (gcd rand1 rand2) == 1)
                  where (rand1, gen1) = random gen0
                        (rand2, gen2) = random gen1

estimatePi1 trials = sqrt $ 6 / (fromRational $ monteCarlo1 trials cesaroTest1 (mkStdGen 0))

-- Monte Carlo using monadic IO
-- no genericReplicateM, so must use Int
monteCarlo2 :: Int -> IO Bool -> IO (Ratio Integer)
monteCarlo2 trials experiment = do
  outcomes <- replicateM trials experiment
  return $ fromIntegral (genericLength $ filter id outcomes) % fromIntegral trials

cesaroTest2 = do
  rand1 <- getStdRandom random
  rand2 <- getStdRandom random
  return $ (gcd rand1 rand2) == 1

estimatePi2 trials = do
  mc <- monteCarlo2 trials cesaroTest2
  return $ sqrt $ 6 / (fromRational mc)

main = let pi1 = estimatePi1 50000 in
       do pi2 <- estimatePi2 50000
          putStrLn (show pi1) >> putStrLn (show pi2)