RE [Haskell-cafe] Monad Description For Imperative

Greg Meredith lgreg.meredith at biosimilarity.com
Thu Aug 2 03:05:08 EDT 2007

Ok,

You wrote

But please, let's keep one foot in the real world if possible.
> Monads were invented to solve the "how do I do imperative programming
> in a pure functional language" problem.

This is more than a little revisionist. Monads have been the subject of
mathematical study before people had an inkling that they might apply to
problems in computer science. Moggi didn't invent them, but noticed that
they might have an application to issues of composition in computation. It
is really intriguing that they do such a remarkable job of organizing
notions of update and were not invented with this application in mind. So,
revising history thus would be a real loss.

Best wishes,

--greg

--
L.G. Meredith